Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:27 AM
Hi again,
If i do not select anything in the DCL when creating a list element - saves the element and then attempt to open it in editmode i receive this error:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object

In DispForm the DCL field displays only ";"

Regards
Alexander
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2008 at 1:14 PM
Hi ,

This error is fixed

:) 
Regards

RAFET
Sep 6, 2008 at 6:58 PM
Thanks again.

Regards
Alexander
Sep 9, 2008 at 7:06 PM
I used the latest release and still came up having this issue myself:
"Failed to set value of the "Department" column on the "Dynamic Lookup" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.. "

Please advise...thanks!

tom

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:01 PM
problem is occuring since the list I'm using has its first column as a Lookup column on another list, and then the ConnectedColumn is a single text field in that list.

is there another way I need to format this?

(if I have both columns in that same list as single text fields, manually entered, the dynamic column lookup module works just fine, even going back to "Edit" mode for a particular form; however, this does not seem to be an efficient way to utilize this tool)

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM
Hi - its only me again nagging...

I found that if i add a list item that uses a DCL-lookup to another list and the lookup-source is edited (change text in the column the lookup gets information from) or deleted,  
and i try to edit the list item that had the DCL-lookup to that item, it failes with this error:

Failed to set value of the "DCL" column on the "Dynamic Lookup" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.. 

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to set value of the "DCL" column on the "Dynamic Lookup" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:
[SPException: Failed to set value of the "DCL" column on the "Dynamic Lookup" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..]
   Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseFieldControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +2381
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +131
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1436

It would be nice if you could "default" the value back to "Select" if the original item was changed or deleted.

Regards
Alexander Bautz